Friday, October 17, 2008

Canadian Thanksgiving

On Sunday October 12 we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with several Canadian families here on campus. There are 12 Canadian teachers at Rosslyn (a staff of 60 teachers in total). We had 22 people come to our home to eat turkey and talk Canadian politics, food, weather, hockey.

It was a chore to locate and purchase a 10 kg turkey. The turkey was also a bit uncooperative because it did not thaw in 3 days and took 9 hours to cook. Rebecca DesRoches made a delicious dressing which included summer savoury. Did you know that summer savoury is quite unique to the Maritimes? No one else has ever heard of it. I will bring some back with me at Christmas.

Here is Simon with his friend Isaiah and Max with Ezra (from Winnipeg).

We played a game of pin the feather on the turkey -- each feather has something written that we are thankful for. Some of the feathers say that we are thankful for "food", "new life", "God for bringing us to Kenya", "water", "the present (tense)", "my childrens' laughter", "chocolate and my Stevie Wonder CD", "the sound of birds waking me in the morning", "teeth", "my Dad".

But this is the one that takes the prize: "I am thankful to be from a country that produced Bruce Cockburn and Stompin' Tom, Maple Syrup and Labatt's Blue, Raffi and the Zamboni, Bobby Orr and Bobby Vinton, Joni Mitchell and Kim Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and (well maybe not Leonard Cohen), Don Messer and Don Cherry, and the greatest place on earth -- P.E.I. I am Canadian!"

No comments: